(770) 475-9555

Do I Need A Carbon Monoxide Detector In My Home?

As the leading cause of accidental poisoning deaths in the U.S., carbon monoxide is a toxic gas with no odor, color, or taste. Exposure to carbon monoxide, even in small amounts, can have significant health effects on the central nervous system and heart. In large amounts, it can quickly lead to death. Thus, if you’re asking, “Do I Need A Carbon Monoxide Detector In My Home?” The answer is a resounding—YES.

If you have fuel-burning appliances in your home, a carbon monoxide detector is recommended to alert you about hazardous levels of carbon monoxide that may have escaped into your living space. Oil heating appliances such as space heaters, boilers, furnaces, or fireplaces are included here. In addition, wood burning appliances (wood stoves, heat stove, fireplaces, or parlor stoves) should also be considered. Propane or natural gas furnaces, stoves, refrigerators, and water heaters also apply. Finally, any gas or diesel fuel products such as generators, automobiles and houseboats can emit dangerous levels of carbon monoxide.

Placement Of Your Carbon Monoxide Detector

When it comes to placing and installing your carbon monoxide detector, different manufacturers may suggest different locations. Thus, it’s important to adhere to the guidelines on your detector for the best placement. Even so, the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) suggests placing your detector near your sleeping area, so that you can be alerted if levels begin to rise. Additional detectors should be placed on every level or near every bedroom as a means of added protection.

As you know, it’s a good rule of thumb to place carbon monoxide detectors near the sleeping area. Yet, there are a few places to avoid when considering where to place your detector. For instance, do not place your carbon monoxide detector within 15 feet of any heating or cooking appliance. Also, avoid placing your detector near areas of high humidity, such as bathrooms. As carbon monoxide is emitted, it can be contained in warmer air and begin to rise with it.

Call A Professional

There’s no doubt—the effects of carbon monoxide can be deadly. With all of the rules about proper placement and installation, it may be best for you to call a professional. The licensed technicians at ClimateSmith, LLC, provide energy-efficient carbon monoxide alarms. We understand how important placement of your detector is, and we recommend installing an alarm on every level of your home. The air quality and overall health of your family is important to us. Call ClimateSmith, LLC, today! 

Posted on behalf of ClimateSmith, LLC

Follow Us on Google+, Facebook and Twitter

ClimateSmith, LLC
5950 Shilioh Rd E
Alpharetta, GA 30005
(770) 475-9555

Our clients reviews

ClimateSmith, LLC

5.0 / 5.0

Based on 45 reviews

Chris Aber

I have recommended this company to everyone. They have a very professional staff, that are timely as well as respectful of your time and your home. Prices are very reasonable and the quality and service are amazing.

Robert Brant

They came out right away and properly fixed my AC problem a month after the original AC company came out. Very professional and honest. They could have charged me double (which is what the original company did) and I would not have questioned it and would have gladly paid it. THANKS!

Keith Shelton

I generally don't post but will make an exception. ClimateSmith is the best HVAC contractor I've used in the 20+ years I've been in Atlanta. They installed a complete heat pump system and ductwork for a very challenging room to cool. Dependable, fair, honest, knowledgeable..highly recommended!